Development of HELCOM Data and Geographic Information System
Although the HELCOM data and GIS system has evolved significantly over the past few years, the adoption of the HELCOM BSAP and developments at the EU level are bringing additional requirements on the existing system.
The overall aims of this project are to enhance the HELCOM Data and GIS in order to:
1. Support the implementation of the HELCOM BSAP by addressing the decision “to expand the HELCOM Geographic Information System with an interface on the HELCOM website showing the progress towards a healthy Baltic Sea”. The project will develop an interactive web-based map service that allows users to view eutrophication-related annual pollution loads as well as the state of the Baltic Sea marine environment by visualising selected indicators and targets. The new interactive web-based map service will serve as a model for implementing similar tools for other priority issues identified in the BSAP.
2. Facilitate the implementation of various international initiatives, including the EU INSPIRE Directive and related European processes, by providing easy access to regional data on the state, and pressures acting upon marine environment. Baltic Sea related data will be either linked to HELCOM databases, and be made available for viewing and downloading, thus regionally supporting both European plans for a Europe-wide Shared Environmental Information System (SEIS), the Water Information System for Europe (WISE) and the future WISE-Marine, as well as EU member HELCOM Contracting States with their reporting requirements under the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive. Furthermore, open access to HELCOM data will support other global level initiatives.
- Evaluating the current structure and needs of the HELCOM GIS and data management system.
- Investigating external databases and data portals, including their technical structures taking into account developments on European (e.g. INSPIRE related activities) and international levels.
- Investigate data standard developments at HELCOM Contracting Party and European levels in order to ensure that HELCOM systems will be compatible also in the future.
- Eutrophication will be selected as a starting point to make a pilot. Thus, it is necessary to establish connections to existing HELCOM data and compile additional available eutrophication related data.
- Make use of the eutrophication assessment tool developed by the HELCOM project EUTRO-PRO.
- Develop an interactive GIS based map interface to allow viewing of eutrophication related data, indicators and targets.
A web-based interface (interactive GIS map) that visualises eutrophication related data (including indicators, reference values and targets), in order to allow for assessment of the progress towards the BSAP goal of a Baltic Sea unaffected by eutrophication. The system should be flexible and compatible so that it can be linked to existing and future databases (HELCOM as well as various national, regional, and international) and supports European initiatives (e.g. INSPIRE, SEIS and WISE)
The purpose of the interface is for users to be able to see:
- the pressures to the marine environment (e.g. pollution loads),
- the state of the marine environment according to latest available information, and
- the progress made in reaching the BSAP targets.
Mr. Manuel Frias Vega
Phone: +358 46 850 9209
Fax: +358 (0)207 412 645
Assisting Professional Secretary
Ms. Minna Pyhälä
Phone: +358 46 850 9205
Fax: +358 (0)207 412 645